Friday, July 6, 2012

Tequila, Spandex, and Brains

 July 5, 2012
Gaudalajara, Mexico

Before this trip I never understood why so many travelers in exotic destinations choose to spend most of their day lounging lethargically around the hostel. Now however I totally understand. After 2 nights of going out in a city known for its wild night life, mucho Tequila, and over a month of being on the road I'm definitely feeling the quick pace of traveling beginning to get to me.

With exactly a week left before turning around to make a slow crawl north I now have to decide what my final destination will be. The choices are honestly difficult. The alluring call of some small palm tree lined beach town curling up in a hammock for hours focusing solely on relaxation, or putting that dream on hold for a trip to one of the most talked about cities (for better or worse) in the world: Mexico City. Now as much as the hammock destination sounds like the best choice for me I'm not sure I could live with myself knowing that I came so close to being in Mexico City but turned around too early.

One of the many beautiful squares
My time here in Guadalajara has been incredible though. The first night I posted on Facebook that words could not describe what I experienced that night, but I guess I should probably try. I've seen the movie Nacho Libre starring Jack Black, but while I found it amusing I had no idea how accurately it portrayed this part of Mexican culture. After meeting 3 new people in the hostel from the US right after arriving they told me they were going to a wrestling match. Joining them for the welcome company and the idea of trying something totally different I had no idea what I was in for. After a few cervezas at the bar and then a short bus ride entering the tiny arena containing around a thousand screaming fans I knew I was in for a real treat.

While Lucha Libre (wrestling) isn't liked by all or even by most the fans who do follow the sport seem absolutely rabid for it. Many bring there families, their own masks, and a colorful array of insults to chant to any contestant not favored at the moment. In the beginning it seemed like primarily men fanning their obsessions, but the more I looked around the more I saw masked women also partaking in the insanity.

While the four of us watched the beginning match noticing the obvious choreography of the fighters, it all of a sudden took a wild turn when one contestant was thrown from the ring and the aggressor ran, jumped, and swan dived from at least 10 feet up onto the downed opponent. The crowd went absolutely wild and from that point on I was hooked. Each match featured a different assortment of characters with both male and female bouts all playing up their “specialties.” One muscle bound buzzed hair woman wearing combat boots and a military uniform that had biceps bigger then my thighs played up her role by shouting curse words at the crowd and giving them all the finger. One of the more crowd pleasing contestants was a little person fully dressed in silver spandex who seemingly did nothing but try and punch the largest wrestler from the other team, and repeatedly get launched off his feet from a kick to the face. The main attraction of the night though was a muscle bound possibly Russian man with blond hair sporting nothing but tiny wrestling shorts and boots named Demarco. Without a doubt his role was to please the women (as evident from the girlish screams everytime he moved) with his massive 8 pack, swaying his hips suggestively at his opponents, but getting the crap beaten out of him for the rest of the show.

The night was something that I had never expected to see and will go down in the books as one of the best nights ever, but things didn't end there. Afterward we found ourselves back at the hostel sipping ron with people slowing making there way to their beds. But then when it seemed like all was over one of the local Mexicans who is friends of the staff offered to show me his apartment and share his tequila. So after checking with the staff to be sure it was safe, I agreed to the short trip outside of the city. After we arrived we drank and discussed everything from the economies of the world to current political situations in both the States and Mexico, and finished drunkenly about how beautiful Mexico and its people are. While I know politics are something that should normally be avoided by Americans abroad, he generously filled me in on his own liberal views and how the recent elections would most likely be damaging for Mexico. It was a great night and I probably learned more about Mexico that night then I will for my whole trip, but by the end of the night we both grew tired and I ended up passing out on pillows on the floor despite generous offers to take the main bedroom.

Not having enough of a hangover from the previous nights tequila, last night I managed to go out again this time visiting many of the bars in the surrounding neighborhood with an Irishman named Peter and his latest obsession, the stunning waitress (or “fit bird” as he likes to refer to her as) from next door. The first place we stopped at was a trendy pizza restaurant that belonged to a friend of the waitresses who let us in, locked the door behind us and gave u a delicious tour of pizza, beer, and more tequila shots than I can recall. From there, to the severe disappointment of Peter the waitress headed for home, and we continued on finally ending up in the only lively places still open late on a Wednesday night: a salsa club. Trying to make up for his previous defeat Peter quickly found a table with two attractive women. By the end of the night the women had managed to get us Salsa dancing and my partner told me that although I wasn't great “at least I was trying.” Not too bad of a night for a gringo I guess.

Tonight me and Peter might possibly meet up with the girls again for one more night out on the town and a few more hours of craziness here in the bustling city of Guadalajara. While its fun and it feels like an incredibly safe and modern city the fast pace of life here has taken its toll and I'm ready to move on. I'll have to keep tonight low key to be ready for a 5 hour ride tomorrow to the famously beautiful city of Morelia halfway between here and Mexico City, but no matter what happens tonight by the time tomorrow morning comes I'll be ready to ride. 

Both dinners came from this street vendor.  The first night I had tacos with tongue meet, and the second I had brains!  Mes gusta!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think?