Friday, July 20, 2012

Flash Floods and Border Xing



July 19, 2012
San Antonio, Mexico

Good morning America! Although I was sad to leave Mexico its nice to know that after so many weeks on the road I'm finally getting closer to home. Yesterday's trip was one of my grueling endurance tests but overall it went well. Leaving Monterrey early after a few minor annoyances of having to find gas, money, and of course forgetting my bike was locked (again) I made the 2 and a half hour trip to the border quickly and with no problems. Well their was actually one problem. I managed to set Ipod (its alive!) to repeat the song by mistake instead of the entire CD so for about 40 miles being to stubborn to stop and see what was wrong (I was hoping it would fix itself?) I listened to Blues Traveler's “Hook” countless times. At first it was great and I continuously sang along because I love the song and the live version is one of my favorites, but after the 4th or 5th it got a little annoying and I eventually rode in silence.
Other then that though the drive was great, winding my bike through the thick traffic at 75 mph to reach the border in no time surrounded on all sides by gorgeous jutting mountains. Now the border crossing was a totally different issue but all in all it was relatively easy. Ignoring the fact that I must have waited for 2 hours in 90+ degree weather in full riding gear and my helmet, and by the time I finally made it across I was shaking with dehydration, I made the crossing without issue.
There's Texas! (Waiting for ages on the bridge)
From there it was two and half more hours to San Antonio and when I finally managed to arrive at my first hotel in a while I couldn't have been happier. I got a little nervous approaching San Antonio because at one point when taking a quick break I got an emergency message saying flash floods where more than likely in my area and it had just started to rain. Looking at the skies though I must have missed the heavy downpour by only a mile or so and I made it thankfully without any unintentional river crossings (though that might have been a fun story sans bike and all possessions floating away of course).

Hostels without a doubt are great places to meet new people, hang out, and have a good time. But when you smell like a dirty old sock and are totally exhausted theirs nothing better then a big comfortable bed, AC, and bad TV shows. Managing to make it up until 10:00 I finally passed out and gave myself the gift of 9 and a half hours sleep.

With three hours until check out, now I'm off to see the Alamo by foot. After all, being the history buff that I am I can't possibly stay in San Antonio without seeing such a glamorous part of American history. I'm not expecting a lot, just a little stroll in the morning before heading out to see my brother, but who knows? I might be in for a surprise. From the map I can see that this city has an interesting set up. The Alamo itself seems to be right in the center of the city in a small park. Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think?