Saturday, July 7, 2012

Morelia: Extrodinaria


 July 6, 2012
Marelio, Mexico

When the guide books say its the best city that no ones heard of that perfectly describes Morelia. Before I entered into Mexico I imagined huge grimmy cities swallowing up all who enter, but so far that hasn't been the case except with the exception of Monterrey. I think I'll even give that place another chance though. Despite my preconceived notions mainly assembled from gritty action movies and the like Mexico has surprised me again and again, perhaps no more so then the gorgeous city of Morelia.

Morelia itself is an incredible blend of a modern city featuring trendy cafes, bars, and restaurants and colonial masonry that leaves visitors in awe. While I could sit and admire the stone work on many of the cities numerous Iglesia's for ages the rest of the city compliments these religious relicts with street after street of buildings made of stone, incredibly beautiful squares boasting large delicate fountains, and even an original part of the aqueduct for the city from around the 1700's.

Without a doubt the main attraction here is the cathedral located in the exact center of the city. Its massive, you can't help but sit and stair, and an unquestionable calmness overcomes you when you enter and see the massive vaulted ceilings. Today though I got a special treat because after watching some street performers in the adjacent square the sky's let loose with a cold rain and I ran for cover. When I entered the cathedral I couldn't help but feel a little bit of fate was involved because as soon as I sat down the incredibly beautiful sound of a choir and organ filled the majestic space. I didn't get to stay for the whole service because I felt a little out of place in my shorts and flip-flops, but I stayed just long enough to be totally impressed with the countless decades of tradition I was witnessing. What I couldn't wrap my head around was the number of people who had sat there since its construction between 1640 and 1744 (they obviously took their time!). To just try and imagine what it must have been like in any of the decades to sit in the same spot I was sitting and look at the people or to try and imagine what the message of the sermons from the 18th century was like was just beyond my imagination.
I can finally say though that for once my drive wasn't that specular. Through no fault of my own I again had to use my emergency tank of gas due to a strip of country 111 miles long with no gas stations, but other than that the drive was rather unremarkable except of course the incredibly taxing number of toll booths. Where I only had to fill my tank twice today (and my emergency tank once) for a total of $250 pesos ($18 US) the toll booths totaled around $300 pesos ($22 US) eating into most of my budget for the day. On top of that include $180 pesos ( $13US) and my budget was pretty much tapped for the day but I still managed to find a delicious burger with charizo fries and a drink for around 4 bucks. While Mexican Highways are safer then back-roads and fast (110kph with the police only looking for trafficers), they certainly can be expensive (though not always). But to prepare for my big day tomorrow of finally entering Mexico City I wanted to get here as quickly as possible leaving enough time to experience some of the city before leaving early tomorrow morning. Mission accomplished.

The Catedral from outside.  Its much taller but it was my first attempt at a panoramic picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think?