Saturday, June 2, 2012

The "Sunny Day Drifter"

I thought I'd begin my first ever real attempt at a blog at the more obvious point:  the beginning maybe?  However, I quickly became aware Wednesday that my journey had already begun with the introduction of an intriguing character bent on helping me get started.  Being on a somewhat strict budget I looked on craigslist to find someone who could help me with one of the few problems motorcycles give to long distance travelers:  luggage space.  Not that I would ever leave anything to the last minute, I found myself with one week and a day to get my bike ready for the long journey quickly approaching.  Thankfully a quirky guy named Steve in Honeyoe Falls took the time to help me out.  Struggling to finish each sentence after an obvious lifetime of partying and good times, this great soul took the time to not only sell me a custom made trunk, but he also took about 4 hours to help me install it.

Before I continue I should probably describe the trunk as the picture of the trunk on my bike do not do it justice.  What the guy had for me was a masterpiece (surely in its time).  It was two hard saddlebags, one trunk, and one vetter.  Each one was meticulously hand painted, and had complimenting detailed metal and leather-work.  Now as quirky, and lighthearted as Steve was, the previous owner of the gear must have been a real cowboy.  The detail that was put into each custom piece was breathtaking if not ever so slightly gaudy.  From the ornate leather work snapped on to each sparkling chrome spike protruding from each and every piece in more places than I would have wanted to remove, the cowboy's love was apparent and he had put the time in to show it.  Basically this was one cowboy I would have loved to meet.  Probably after an awkward handshake and a nasally "Hello" he probably would have beat me senseless for my bleeding heart liberal attitudes, but I'm sure he wouldn't have taken it personally and neither would I.  Although maybe I'm judging the "Sunny Day Drifter" unfairly, but with all the leather and chrome spikes its hard not to let the imagination wander.  Either way I'm sure he was some character!

Anyway back to Steve.  What turned into a quick trip to buy some "gently" used luggage quickly turned into 3 hours of taking things apart, breaking them, and then slowly putting them back together.  Between stories of how he was secretly looking for an apartment (also attempting to run), and previous experiences with motorcycles better referred to as "antiques," it quickly became apparent that this guy really cared about what he did even enough to help a total stranger.  One story he told gave an indication of why he felt this way.  He explained that the bike the luggage came from was a real beauty purchased not too long ago.  Two years younger then mine, and with an 1100cc engine as compared to my 850cc, he said he had taken it out only twice before the "seals blew" effectively robbing him of his own beautiful beast.  Now totally sure what this blown seal meant (the bike? the glue between the sole of his shoe? or maybe something more serious in his head?) I had no idea but it was obviously somewhat serious and had hurt him emotionally.  Pretending to understand and taking pity on his misfortune, I eventually agreed to buy what I could if he'd help me put it on the bike. He agreed and the roller coaster of happiness and disappointment began and ended with the only part that would actually fit on my bike:  this incredible trunk.

As with any other "antique," even minor changes or repairs can quickly turn into a project.  Thus was the case with my bike and after a broken ground wire on my taillight, a sissy bar that really seemed to prefer hanging on the wall then on my bike, broken bolts, and a dizzying blend of American and Metric parts, we finally got it together.  And although it was difficult to follows Steve's sentences when it went like this: "Well I think what we need is... (30 second pause) what was I saying?", it was certainly a pleasure getting to see his love of motorcycles, and listening to his crazy (if not disjointed) stories of adventures from his younger days.  All I can say is that I paid the guy $40 for his trunk and his help, but he personally made sure I drove off with a better understanding of my bike, and a job well done despite the numerous setbacks.

I know I'm not the best of writers, and many will probably agree that I'm pretty crappy as I've done only a little bit of self-reflective writing for my Masters classes, but I hope I've conveyed what became clear that day and even more now as I sit here struggling to recall the details.  Its not about the miles, the destinations, or stickers attached to my bike detailing my voyage.  Its about the voyage itself and what comes from the journey including much more then the physical act of travel.  Although I've traveled to more countries then I care to catalog and had experience this effect countless time before, after staying in one place for so long something inside me awakened.  After meeting Steve it was clear that the voyage had already begun even before I had officially started.  I drove home that night feeling for the first time excited about the unknown mysteries and adventures to come which had replaced all the worrying about what was still left to be done.  While I could choose my stops and destinations, everything else was out of my control and an adventure waiting behind the next mile marker.  With a little bit of luck and some more helpful kindhearted people like Steve, I'm sure this new adventure will lead to amazing new discoveries and incredible moments, after all they had already begun to reveal themselves and I hadn't even left yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think?