Friday, June 29, 2012

Finally South of the Border!



June 29, 2012
Monterrey, Mexico

I finally made! And now after two PB&J tortillas, a thing of crackers, about a gallon of water, and a dip in the pool I finally feel human again. Don't get me wrong, today's journey wasn't bad by any means, but a few complications really made things difficult.

The alarm went off at 6:30am this morning and after pressing the snooze button a few times I finally got up and got going. One of the best things about riding a motorcycle is that it makes a great supplement for my usual half pot of coffee. Driving to a bridge 20 miles away after hearing how quick it was to pass there I realized my first mistake of the day while pulling up to the toll booth. While I had done my research and made the effort to get out to the right bridge I had unfortunately forgotten that with bridges come tolls. So after a quick U-turn to the amusement of all working that day I made the 20 mile drive back to an ATM. After all just like the previous day's drive there is absolutely nothing out there!

By the time I got back to the border I had already driven 67 miles and my day had only just begun. Crossing the border though was relatively easy. I knew what I had to do and with my broken Spanish the only difficulty was waiting in line while melting in the unconditioned rooms. About an hour later I was free and made my way happily into Mexico.

From what I saw of Mexico today, the northern border region is a lot like Texas' border region: a whole lot of nothin. I cruised for a while figuring out my way as I went following the simple signs for Monterrey and in no time beautifully peaked mountains started springing up and I knew I was getting close. To put it middly I was incredibly nervous about driving for the first time in Mexico not really knowing what to expect, but as the miles (or kilometers now) ticked by my comfort level.

Beyond overheated, tired, and drenched in sweat after arriving in the third biggest city in Mexico the fun began. Picture any movie you've seen of Mexican city streets. Basically the city chewed me up and spat me out. Its my firm belief that on the zig zagging criss crossy roads pilled high with heavy footed motorists Mexican drivers have as little idea of how to get to there destination as I do. They'd cut into lanes, try and crowd me out of my own, and basically move whenever and wherever they want freely whether I was in there way or not. To make things worse, after getting into the city the simplified signs so easy to follow before arriving quickly changed into a big blurring of incomprehensible directions. It honestly must have taken me at least 90 minutes to find my preferred hostel in a never ending saga of wrong turns and frustration. Even better after arriving at the big blue dot on my google maps app I then realized that the hostel had been closed down and no others had any vacancy. Unable to continue in the heat, hungry, and craving the idea of heading back for home I managed to find a super secret deal from travelocity.

For $50 US I got a room at the Comfort Inn including a pool, breakfast in the morning sure to rival my previous “Continental Breakfast” disappointments, and all the AC I can handle. Now I'm in a much better room, have figured out where I'm going tomorrow and are ready to relax! Unfortunately today was much more expensive then I had planned. I had known that Mexican highway had “high” tolls but just how high they were I only figured out after forking over $20 for one of them today. Anyway, I'll try and avoid them tomorrow but to my delight I'll be staying in a $10 per night hostel in the old city of Zacatecas. The plan is to stay there for a couple nights to conserve money, and finally see some of the sights Mexico has to offer. There is a church only 15 minutes from here, but in the nasty streets as dark approaches I think I've had enough sight seeing and missed turns for one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think?