Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sex, drugs, and rock and role?


June 21, 2012
Killeen, Texas

One way or another this will be my last post from this city and I couldn't be happier! My brother is done for the week tomorrow and the plan is to hit the road as soon as he's out. It should be  a rather interesting site to see transporting my gear, his gear, and himself all on my wee motorcycle but its all in the name of adventure travel right?

On a side note I'm currently trying to arrange a new perspective for the blog. Being a musician myself since I was 12 but always having a tough time finding dedicated musicians (except Michelle my beautiful and talented vocalist and co-writer for a brief period!) I now have the curious habit of going on to craigslist wherever I am to see whose looking for band mates. This time I found a guy named Woodstock Jones looking for a drummer, my preferred instrument currently. I used to do the whole singer songwriter thing but I was always too much of a perfectionist (and I guess not good enough to make myself happy!) to enjoy playing live shows as great as they were. My career in that department culminated in me recording a full length CD, playing all the instruments, writing all the music, and mastering it myself in Brockport while I was in college. It was an incredible experience of hundreds of hours of work, but I felt like after I was done I had said what I needed to say, written what I needed to write, and was happy with what I accomplished. Now I'm perfectly content to sit in the back and hammer on my drum set unafraid to slip up, just playing for myself and trying to have a good time.

So where does Woodstock Jones come into this? Well I found that he was looking for a drummer so I decided to try and contact him to interview him when I got to Austin about his music, and the legendary music scene that surrounds him. At this point I'm not sure what he's going to say; he could be too busy for me to get a chance to meet up with him, or he could be too creeped out by the completely random message to contact him. Either way Woodstock Jones has a great sound as is worth checking out here: http://www.facebook.com/woodstockjonesmusic/app_2405167945. He's got a hauntingly soulful voice, to the point cutting lyrics, and some great acoustic guitar riffs. Hopefully next post will be some good news about meeting up with him, and I've also managed to contact another adventure traveler in Austin with an epic blog, but we shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think?