Monday, June 11, 2012

"Let's Go Out!"


Saturday June 9th
Goose Creek South Carolina

On an open road doing 70mph, I looked up at the throaty growl of an approaching Harley from the front. To my surprise their was no other cars around, much less a shiny overpriced motorcycle. Puzzled I wondered what I was hearing as my bike had an aggressive roar, but much more tamed then the sound I was hearing. Rolling gently off on the throttle, I could hear the roar of another bike's rpms decline in line with my own and at the point I knew something was wrong. Pulling into the next rest area I found the problem: a leaky exhaust pipe. But with only 50 miles from my Uncle Joe and his family at the end of a ten hour drive, I figured I would just finish the trip and fix it after thanks to an inquisitive call to my father. Upon arrival, and after many generous hugs and handshakes, we discovered the problem was much more serious then I had at first suspected. After the “cup” holding the exhaust flush with the engine, the pipe had simply sheered off in its weakened rusty state. Unsure of what to do, but to tired to worry about it we did the only thing family can do after a much anticipated reunion: grabbed some beers.

After a wild night (one tequila, two tequila...) and my uncle finally bowing to my repeated concerns about finding a fun local bar (“Let's go out!” repeated more times then it should been) working on the bike the next day was a lot less fun. But after a few hours of hard work, colorful language, and beer seeping from my pores we finally got it back together finishing the job at 10:00pm.

The visit here with the Browns was amazing though. Joe is the same willy old coyote he used to be, and his sons only get more enjoyable the older they get (they're so smart!). Danita and the family were so welcoming, and after a night on the couch watching a movie I finally feel like I'm ready to get back on the road.

Now the bike is back and better then ever (hopefully! [fingers crossed]). We rigged up the exhaust and are hopping that it will be better then just a temporary fix until Texas where I'll have time to order a spare muffler if need be. Now Saphira's been outfitted with a second lock on the trunk to keep away prying fingers, and a hand made “cruise control” of David's devising hopefully helping to relieve the intense wrist pain experienced after hours of twisting the throttle at an unnatural angle. Anything to help with these next few days will be a welcome relief because as Danita lovely pointed out, I will be traveling into an unending rain storm for the next few days. One report she found stated that they we're actually evacuating people somewhat close to my route.

I guess tomorrow I can get up, do a last minute check of the forecast and make my decision then. While I have both cold and rain weather gear ready and more then capable at keeping me dry, the wet roads add to my worry about my safety forcing me to slow my speed dragging out an already long ride. On the bright side though, my couch surfers in Tallahassee got back to me and it looks like everything is ready for my next leg. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the weatherman makes it look. I've gotten lucky before and who knows? It could happen again. Just two days ago I was traveling a little faster then I should have been, using a car in front of me as bait for any patrolling lawmen. Because I try not to hog the passing lane I decided to veer to the right. Just as I found my lane a grey car came screaming by. At first feeling annoyed by its break neck speed and proximity to my bike I looked over only to realize it was a state police car. Knowing how fast I was going I assumed the gig was up, but instead of pursuing me he kept going and pulled over the lead car leaving me in the clear to continue on. As they say in one my favorite shows Arrested Development I thought: “Well... That was a freebie!” Not wanting to stay and offer the trooper a two for one, I rolled the accelerator forward, thanked lady luck obviously ridding with me that day, and sped away with a huge goofy smile plastered on my face. I can't remember what song I chose to sing after that inside my helmet, but I'm sure it was a happy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think?