Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Featuring Cacti, Cliff Jumping, and Payback for a Forgotten Kickstand.


June 26, 2012
Killeen Texas

It's late, I'm back in my favorite city Killeen, the laundries been done, and Ian and I have already begun reminiscing about the best parts of our trip together. Although we're still having a good time relaxing with a movie and some ps3 in his cell, things have gotten a little quieter between us with heavy thoughts of our pending departure on both of our minds. I've read before that when traveling solo its hard to meet up with someone else after you've gotten used to your own schedule and I found that to be completely true. While I was used to coming and going when I wanted its disrupts your balance to have someone’s desires and timetables thrown into the mix. But after over a week of being together I've really gotten used to having my brother on the back of my bike. With his backpack perched perfectly strapped down on my trunk and him pushing as far back in the seat as he can to give me a little extra (but still no wheres near enough) space his fun loving nature has made him a perfect rider . We have once again become comfortable traveling companions and now the only strange part tomorrow will be not having him back there. While I'm sure that we'll travel together again someday it will without a doubt be a sad departure tomorrow none of us are looking forward to because the way our lives have taken us we just don't get to see each other as much as we'd like. Hopefully on my return in a couple of weeks with any luck I'll at least be able to stop in for some crappy junk food and maybe even dunk him in the pool a few more times.

Yet as sad as our departure will be we really had an incredible last couple of days together. Yesterday we took the most incredibly scenic road to Inks Lake park where the sights were out of this world and the state park was the best one I have ever been to. At the swimming area expertly named The Devil's Watering Hole thrill seeking swimmers willing to jump at there own risks can chose between a 10, 15, and 35 foot cliff. Of course with me being the dangerous (read senseless) thrill seeker that I am, my first jump had to be from the highest ledge. While I enjoy doing these things that isn't to say that I'm not terrified of doing them and this time proved to be no different. Yes it was rush, yes it hurt a lot, and no I won't do it again for at least a few months but it was awesome...

Without a doubt I took more pictures yesterday on the road and in the park then I have on the whole trip. It was completely beautiful. After the park we had to stop and get some pics of the road so any curious readers can hopefully see what me and Ian got to see. I pulled off the road and upon seeing a long flat rock cropping decided to take Saphira off-roading for her first time on the trip. Parking in a spot shared only with cacti and both of us in awe, we took plenty of pictures of the gorgeously desert-esque scenery and even some of the local plant life.

After spotting one of the larger cacti, Ian stated that he had to touch it. Knowing the consequences of this fool hardy move I let him make his own choices and sure enough the rapid succession of expletives flew from his mouth. Laughing out loud I turned around to walk away before joining his colorful wording with some of my own. It turns out I had walked through some kind of burr brush and they had imbedded no less then 20 of the peas sized razor sharp burs into my feet (yep wearing flip flops and shorts). 10 minutes later after I had picked them all out by holding a rock in each hand to wedge them together (they're way to sharp to grab with your hands!) I was free and ready to ride. But after hopping on and beginning to back up my tendency to forget to return the kick-stand to its upright position finally caught up with me. Throwing off my balance by hitting a rock while slowly wheeling it backwards proved to be just enough to get Saphira leaning a little too far and like I said before when all of her 650 pounds start falling sideways there's really not a whole lot a rider can do.

Jumping off to keep my foot from being crushed and cursing my stupidity after the bike came to rest I told Ian to help me get her back upright before any of the cars driving by saw us. This was accomplished with an enormous amount of effort in the late afternoon sun and then we sheepishly set back out again on our merry way this time for another park right outside of Marble Falls.

While it was nothing like Inks Lake, it was nice to be able to swim again in the 100+ degree weather and check out another state park, but even better before parking we noticed we were right next to a brewery. Later, after departing the brewery with full bellies of pulled pork sandwiches, and two growlers full of their own custom brewed beer, the rest of the night became history. To my endless enjoyment Ian continued on with his romeo inspired pick-up move of leaving his phone number behind written on practically anything he could find with a little note saying “call me!” and a smiley face.

As we stumbled home I don't think we could have had a better day. 2 state parks, without a doubt the best drive I had made so far, and another great night out to top it off. I've had an incredible time with Ian, but as of 6:00am tomorrow morning he will be heading North by plane, and I'll be heading South to get as close to the border as I can in preparation for an early border crossing Thursday morning into Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think?