Friday, June 22, 2012

A Golf Cart, A Rented Armory, and a 22nd Birthday!!


The Bday boy holding either his rifle or his gun, I can't remember which is which...
June 22, 2012
Killeen, Texas

We will be finally leaving Killeen in a couple hours and I'm feeling almost giddy! Currently Ian is heading to his shop to make sure his leave papers are together and I'm... well writing about getting packed up. Anyway its coming and its going to be great!

Yesterday was my little brothers birthday so I tried to show him the best time I could in a city with no soul, one brother with no access to his money, and the other brother unable to drink (and recently single [I'll go back and delete Alicia's stupid name from the records and replace it with an incredibly immature name some day I'm sure]) due to a PT test in the morning. To me the decision was clear: vacate the city with great haste, find the closest shooting range, and in true macho style use the biggest guns we could rent to destroy as many patches of grass that we could find to celebrate! In true Texas Ranger style enter Weber's Gun Range. After some quick paperwork, a credit card (still not mine!), and a half-inquisitive “you know how to use these right?” we were on our way out to the range with a small arsenal in the back of our golf cart. For Ian he chose the bulky yet gentle 9mm, for me being the bigger guy out of the group the wildly powerful (and for some reason more compact) 1911 replica 45cal. Oh yeah, and lets not forget the Ar15 assault rifle as well...

Now like I previously said, I'm more a fan of control then gun play, but when offered the chance to target shoot when in Rome do as the Romans right? With great machoismo and pizzaz two hours later we sent a total of 280 rounds down range effectively peppering the dirt with toxic amounts of led. On the pistol range, we chose to fire so far away from the targets that we couldn't see whether we made our marks or not, and of course the AR15 had a reflex site sans the battery so we really couldn't tell where those rounds where going either but that wasn't really the point.

Each weapon had its own personal characteristic and how every roller coaster is different in their own special way, so were each of the weapons in our own little armory. While more accurate and tamed, the 9mm also had the incredible capability of hold 15 rounds. Because it did hold so many rounds, and it really didn't jump to much (and we really weren't going for accuracy!), the possibility of unloading all 15 in rapid succession left the user feeling like they were straight out of some cheesy action movie. On the other hand, every time I fired the 45cal I was scared that it would jump up out of my hands, hit me in the face, then hop in the golf cart and drive away. To say the least the punch it packed was incredible, and I felt exactly like I do when riding a motorcycle like mine while giving it full throttle: point it in the right direction, hope for the best, and try to hold on!

Last but certainly not least we came to the ar15 assault rifle with nervous jitters of joy passing over us in giggly juvenile waves. After all, where else can you walk into a store and ask to borrow something previously only seen before in movies!? After taking a quick lesson from my knowledgeable brother, we loaded up the 20(!!) round clip and let the crickets have it. Now don't get me wrong. The 9mm was loud, the 45 unquestionably louder, but every time we let loose one of the 5.56mm rifle rounds it was like a little piece of hell was crossing over. Taking lessons from Ian we tried the kneeling stance, the laying down stance, the sitting stance, and finally the empty-the-clip-as-soon-as-possible stance. To say the least in was nuts! And every time we reloaded I could only think about Jodi's brother key phrase “Send it!”

Sweating from the intense heat and the adrenaline coursing through our veins, with sadly gave them ludicrous weapons back and then headed back to Killeen. We swam in the “luxurious” pool filled with critters (we didn't have to worry though because the water was so murky we really couldn't tell what we were swimming in), we had dinner at Logan's Steak house per Ian's choice were we both got some juicy steaks and I again for the second year in a row got to embarrass him by having the waitresses sing to him, and then we made plans to go to Austin today all the while noting the incredible luxuries of my current hotel (a door that you didn't even have to prop to keep it open, outer doors that never locked making entry somewhat hands free I'm sure for only our upstanding neighbors, a TV that made false promises to waste our time with a ps3 but unfortunately had no way to turn it to the AUX channel, and carpet??). Now instead of writing about getting ready for Austin I should probably focus more on the execution of the process, but thankfully the next post will come from a new city, and now that Ian is off work, a new bunch of stories and hangovers to describe shortly.

On a side note the blog got an all time high of 54 page views in one day yesterday and I couldn't be happier with how things are going. So if you're reading this now you have my sincere thank you at making me feel appreciated in my efforts. Also, today should mark the day for the blog's 500th total page view, how exciting!? So again thank you!! 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think?