Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Badlands: Part 2

June 17, 2013
Sage Creek Campground, Badlands, South Dakota
Distance Traveled: 6 miles by foot!

My time here in the Badlands has come to a glorious end.  Today had been by far the most peaceful day on my trip as there's very little separating me out here from the serenity of the wilds. 

I got in a breath taking hike today which was challenging considering all the little hills and valleys, but the sites it afforded me were just spectacular.  I even got to do something I had strangely enough always wanted to try before: picking a direction and just walking.  But after a little under an hour my anxiety got the better of me as I imagined myself hopelessly lost walking round in circles.  I really didn't think that possible here due to the never ending 9 mile views, but after a while taking small detours around obstacles I could see it would be ready to get turned around.  And after a while each hill, tree, and bush all started to blend into one, so happy was I when I found my way back to the trail.

There was a slight drizzle of rain after I got back, but I really didn't notice much as I had been napping. Its so strange the feeling of having nothing at all to do but hike, read, nap, and eat, but although it would take some getting used to I think I like it!

To escape the busyness of my campground that quickly filled up tonight I managed to hike up the mountain closest to the camp and I think it's an excellent place to sit and watch the sunset.  This relaxing day has come at perfect time and right now I couldn't be more content.  One thing is for sure though, sunsets are best viewed with someone you love.

Tomorrow I will finally get to see the iconic Mount Rushmore.  I've heard from a few people that it isn't all its cracked up to be but I'm pretty excited!  I have less then a hundred miles to go tomorrow so it should be perfect for a short ride and then sight seeing.   Don't forget about the gravel road out of here though...

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think?