Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I came, I conquered, and on I go!

Best Bling EVER!
Normally after success the words flow quickly, unceasingly, and the posts somewhat write themselves.  But last Sunday at the Miami Half Marathon things were different.  Describing it is difficult, for once I'm actually at a loss of words but I think its time to finally try.  One word description though to get me started: Victory!

Me and Dad set out that morning for the race around 4:45am thinking we had plenty of time to make the short drive, gear up, and find our rightful spot in the corals.  Oh how wrong we were!  After getting stuck in traffic and having a hike to the start line, things quickly turned into me sprinting to the gear check for the both of us, running back (warm up?) and throwing everything on trying to forget nothing and keep the mental edge and clarity needed to accomplish what I came to do:  1:52:00.  It would represent a 7 minute drop in PR, but more importantly would set the tone for my last month of training as to how difficult the marathon goal of 4 or bust would be.

To say it went well though after the race got underway is an
understatement.  Despite a lack of tapper, my legs felt stronger than
Nicest expo I've ever been to!
ever after I got going, and at each leg I ramped it up quicker and stronger to finish in a full on sprint at a mind numbing (for me at least!) 1:46:13.  On top of that the weather was around 50 degrees and the course were perfect taking us over a big bridge to get us started (so not as flat as I thought) but then down to south beach for some incredible views.  By the time I made it to the half way point were there was a clear turn back to the start and I knew I had my goal.  I've heard some complain about the size of the event with over 20,000 runners present, but I can honestly say it was the best organized event I have ever been to.  Aid stations were perfect, the expo was killer giving out tons of free stuff (include a shaved calf and some KT tape!), the best medal EVER!, and I actually like zig zagging in and out of the crowds in the beginning...

I got a golden ticket!
Now onto the race itself.  Normally passing pacers you were supposed to stick to like glue is a no no.  After all that's how I tanked my Phili marathon.  3 years ago I felt stronger than ever and paid little attention to my watch as it ticked off way too quick times and ultimately paid the price with a shuffling painful finish few words can accurately describe in PG settings.  But this time was different.  My tanks felt full, the legs felt great, and I was on fire.  I caught up with the 1:52 pacer at around mile 4 (started a ways back due to my late arrival) but after a couple miles decided it was time to head out.  Later I caught up with the 1:50 pacer, but knew I had a lot more left than that at around mile 8 so finally passed them too a mile or so later.

At mile 10 I finally found someone to chat with (a lot less talkative people at this event which is normally one of my favorite things about halfs), trying to get the fellow runners around me pumped for the last 5k and gleefully exclaimed "anyone can do a 5k, lets bring it in strong!"  As soon as the words escaped my mouth to my new found running friend I looked down and noticed the different color bib he was wearing indicating only one thing:  he had a lot more than a 5k left, he had the rest of his marathon!

If you look close you can see the mile 12 marker!
After apologizing profusely he wished me luck and I set off to finish strong.  Taking turn after turn I finally came to a coral and turned on the juice hitting a full on flat out sprint racing by runner after runner.  Breathing hard, feeling the burn in my legs not unlike holding them in a molten pit of hot tar mixed with pins and needles, I quickly realized my mistake with a jaw dropping realization:  that was not the end and their was still more race to go.  Buckling down I struggled to get my breathing under control and down shifted a little knowing I had little left for a quick finish, but thankfully at the next turn I could finally spot the finish line.  Looking back at my pace I see I managed an admirable 5:53 min/mile pace to cross the finish line, but no wheres near as quick as the earlier 5:10.   Lesson learned.

So that chapter is done and I can't help but continue to feel more prepared every day for the upcoming marathon.  This week I pushed on with my training getting a seasonal high mileage of 43.1 miles and also making another gamble that will hopefully pay off, but more on that later.  Done with my long run, rest and recovery is on the table.  That and some good old fashioned American football:  GO SEAHAWKS!  (Bills fan here so I'd rather chew my own leg  hand off then root for the Patriots)


No comments:

Post a Comment

So what did you think?